Tuesday, December 8, 2009

CO2 Solutions

It's all the buzz now and it seems that global climate change has caught the attention of our politicians who are in a position to legislate important changes that may save us from the terrible consequences of rising temperatures.

As individuals, we can continue to inform ourselves of the issue, and more importantly take steps to bring about changes in our own behavior. Sometimes I am overcome by the big picture and fall into a place of despair, which of course leads to a weakened sense of empowerment.

But the small things add up. I can see for example that each month this year my power bill relative to last year's is lower because I changed out all the light bulbs (or most) in the house. (Of course I am going blind trying to read in the reduced light, but whatever...). I get a feeling of empowerment by this small but real measurable change. It gives me a goal to strive for that is doable.

I never really thought too much about a really important source of co2 in the air; livestock production. Recently, Paul McCartney encouraged people to do a meatless Monday, cutting meat consumption by 1/7. Seems like a small sacrifice for those of us who eat meat with possibly big results overall. But here again is a small way to reduce our footprint.

Follow the link for an in-depth article " Livestock and Climate Ckange"related to this idea sent to me by my sister. It is long and scientific, but contains a lot of good information if you have the time. Or just change out all your light bulbs....

From the site, go to Blogs: Dateline: Copenhagen: bring up the pdf file for livestock and climate change on the right side


www.worldwatch.org/ww/livestock.


If you have other ideas for reducing your overall footprint, leave a comment.

No comments: