Thursday, March 17, 2011

Abiding in the bodhi heart

The images of sufferig coming from Japan cause a mixture of feelings to arise; fear, compassion, helplessness, and anger being formost in my own experience. Often I feel myself drifting into a state of paralysis regarding the really apocalyptic events that seem to come with increasing regularity. It is tempting to see myself as being powerless to do anything.

It is helpful to remember that though I am unable to bend the laws of physics which implacably govern  the nature of physical reality, I do have the potentially limitless power to govern how I respond to the events that overtake me. 

For me this means using these events to remind me of how I am connected to the images that I see, and how one person's suffering on the other side of the ocean is really my own suffering. This helps me to become more compassionate, and this affects my behavior. 

The bodhi heart, or heart of compassion dwells in every human, but it is not always awake. However, when we nourish this aspect of our nature, through practicing openness to the real connections that link all reality, and especially to all sentient beings, we touch a sort of super being within ourselves, and this is the energy that has the power to change us in a very positive way, as well as to potentially change the world. 

I am reminded of the importance of seeing the world in the context of inter-being; seeing the interconnections and the inter-dependance of all life.  It is not possible to hide out on the web of life forever. Eventually, every little ripple will make it's way to our safe cave and in some way rock our boat.

Rather than prepare for this absolute eventuality with a defensive, protective posture, I feel that nourishing the bodhi heart with the water of suffering can give us the strength to remain open and hopeful.

We will all deal with these events in a myriad of ways. It is not important to calculate the degree to which varying responses will be of benefit. What is important is to respond in a way that connects you to the people who suffer around you; to actively allow your heart to be touched, however unpleasant that might become.

We are all in the same boat, and these events can help us to see that reality more clearly and guide us in how we embrace the future. We can become more loving to those around us. We can become more active in choosing courses that reduce overall suffering. As Yoko Ono said recently, we can reach down into ourselves and find that super power that will allow us to perform miracles of love.

No comments: