Thursday, July 7, 2022

The Power of Authenticity

I have been discovering lately the freedom that comes with radical acceptance. As I grow older (now 70!) I realize more and more that it is not healthy to ignore or sidestep authenticity in favor of taking care of the other persons prercieved feelings, ideas, or individual perspective on any given topic. This does not mean running roughshod over another persons individual take on the world such as challenging it or judging it. It simply means looking deeply into my own truth and responding (possibly) rather than reacting. Often the response is increasingly the position of not responding. Just listening and reflecting privately can lead to a more fruitful and positive interchange and mutual understanding. A simple response such as "That's interesting!" rather than launching into my own take on an issue or position can diffuse the confrontational nature of reacting where each party tends to shift into defensive postures. Is it authentic to not react? In today's hyper divisive world reacting seems to be the go to response, the quicker the better! But these quick reactions often seem to lead to unsatisfying, if not catastrophic, results. There can be a quieter contemplative authenticity that is very powerful that can shift the energy towards a more positive place. For me at least, the failure to respond authentically has sometimes been linked to fear of exposing my truth; my authentic self. Contrary to what is seen culturally as being powerful, especially for a man, namely a sort of hardened emotional aloofness, authenticity involves revealing vulnerabilities, typically seen as weak for men. I have been extremely lucky to be a part of a long standing group of men dedicated to opening up pathways toward being more authentic, and this has certainly helped me to grow emotionally. I can say without a doubt that these men have helped me claim my authentic self without fear. And every time I respond from that place of authenticity, it feels powerful and liberating!

No comments: