Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nothing to Fear

I came across this quote this morning while reading the responses to a talk by Gaylon Ferguson on fearlessness.

"Why is it that we are so afraid of just being with ourselves? What is it about this that makes us uncomfortable? What is it about this that makes us squirm and be in a state of perpetual motion of doing and accomplishing rather than just being? In looking inwards to my own mind, I realized that what I am afraid of is seeing my failures and shortcomings. I don't want to see those things blaring in front of me. I instantly judge myself and compare myself to others.

But then I have to remind myself that I am not my shortcomings. I am not my failures. Neither am I my successes! What I have at the core of my being is incorruptible Buddha nature. That's my essence. And if at my core I am made up of this clear, pure essence then what is there to be afraid of? This Buddha Nature is the source of my fearlessness."

No comments: